2018-2019 Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]
Hospitality Management A.A.S. with Culinary Option
This curriculum is designed to provide the necessary professional knowledge, skill and techniques for careers in foodservice management. Graduates typically gain employment in a variety of management roles. As they gain experience, they often find their educational background and the attainment of a college degree makes them attractive candidates for increasing responsibilities, promotion, and enhanced earning potential. Should graduates wish to pursue a baccalaureate degree in the hospitality field or business, other institutions recognize credits earned in the program.
The Culinary option enables students to:
- Advance their technical skills in food preparation and service and development of their palate for flavor, aromas and other senses;
- Expand their the application of the principles of food identification, food utilization, menu writing, recipe creation;
- Advance supervisory skills for effective use of people and resources in foodservice operations;
- Apply principles of kitchen and dining room and work flow design to optimize use of space and resources
- Become proficient in the proper use and maintenance of professional foodservice equipment;
- Identify efficient and effective methods for use of food and labor to minimize waste, improve productivity and profitability
- Explain the history, evolution and international diversity of food products, recipes and menus;
- Develop the professionalism necessary for working successfully with subordinates, peers, supervisors, suppliers, customers and industry professionals;
- Build academic skills and acquire a global perspective in general education related to food preparation and service.
- Apply nutrition, sustainable and practical culinary principles in preparation for the contemporary job market.