The Medical Office Specialist Certificate Program is designed to provide students with a comprehensive preparation in administrative office procedures within a health care environment. This program offers students education in such skills as filing, billing procedures, appointment scheduling, insurance verification and pre-certification, current diagnostic and procedural coding. The course of study includes medical terminology, medical insurance, and medical coding. During the final phase of the program, students are placed in a health care setting for their Co-operative Education Work Experience, such as physicians’ offices, hospital or health insurance agencies, or other potential sites of employment.
- Students must achieve a minimum grade of C in all MED, BBG and CSA courses.
- One of the following:
- HS Keyboarding with a C or better OR
- a keyboarding class from another institution OR
- A letter from an employer within the last 5 years indicating the student needed keyboarding skills to function at their job.
Upon successful completion of all program requirements, graduates will be able to:
- Function as competent entry-level Medical Office Specialist personnel in the cognitive (knowledge), psychomotor (skills), and affective (behavior) learning domains;
- Function safely and effectively as a Medical Office Specialist in allied health and medical settings such as physician’s offices, hospitals, health care facilities and health insurance agencies;
- Carry out front office duties such as reception, insurance verification, posting payments and medical record maintenance;
- Communicate effectively with patients and colleagues using appropriate knowledge of psychology;
- Demonstrate appropriate interpersonal communication skills using both the written and spoken word; and
- Function within the legal and ethical standards as a Medical Office Specialist within the medical profession.