Students in the Clinical Medical Office Management course of study will need to complete a certificate from the Medical Assistant Program. In addition to the clinical and/or administrative skills acquired through their certificate program, students will acquire professional and business skills through courses that incorporate current technology for managing a medical office.
Course work is focused on (1) clinical and/or administrative and skills, (2) fulfillment of core curriculum requirements to provide the student with the broad base of knowledge necessary to succeed in the work environment. The program leads to an Associate of Science degree in Medical Office Management - Clinical.
Upon successful completion of the requirements of the Medical Office Management program, graduates will be able to:
- Discuss principles of supervision in an office domain related to the cognitive (knowledge), psychomotor (skills), and affective (behavior) learning domains;
- Discuss clinical skills including the performance of vital signs, exam room preparation, patient data collection, simple dressing changes, lab tests, phlebotomy, and EKG’s as well as its impact on medical coding;
- Carry out and manage front office duties such as reception, insurance monitoring, record maintenance and bookkeeping;
- Communicate effectively with patients and personnel using appropriate knowledge of psychology;
- Demonstrate appropriate interpersonal communication skills using both the written and spoken word;
- Assist the health care provider with patient teaching related to pharmacology, anatomy and physiology, and nutrition;
- Uses principles of total quality patient care collaboratively with health care personnel to bring all groups of personnel together to reach the goal of quality patient care;
- Demonstrate knowledge of state and federal rules and regulations required of health care facilities;
- Demonstrate a thorough understanding of the legal and ethical standards and dilemmas facing the medical profession.
HS Keyboarding with a C or better or Passing grade within the last five years or a keyboarding class from another institution.