May 29, 2024  
2018-2019 Catalog 
2018-2019 Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Student Degree Evaluations

Student Degree Evaluations

Q. What is a Student Degree Evaluation?

A. The Student Degree Evaluation is a report that helps track a student’s progress toward completion of their degree program. It does not replace advising by academic advisors.

Q. When can I view my degree evaluation?

A. You can view your online student degree evaluation at any time, 24/7, using myCommNet. You should check your progress at the completion of each semester, when you are meeting with your advisor and when you register for additional courses.

Q. What do I do if the Student Degree Evaluation lists my major incorrectly?

A. To update your major, you can complete the Change of Major Form at the Records Office, East Campus, room E102. In the meantime, you can run a “What-If ” evaluation.

Q. What is a “What-If ” evaluation?

A. The “What-If ” option allows you to run a degree evaluation for any available program/major.

Q. Does my Student Degree Evaluation include the classes I am currently taking?

A. Yes, you can run an evaluation for a future term that you have already registered for; it will include those classes as well.

Q. What does “Entry Term” mean?

A. “Entry Term” reflects the year of the catalog in which a student bases the requirements of their degree. This term coincides with the term in which the student filed their most recent “Change of Major” form.

Q. What does “Evaluation Term” mean?

A. “Evaluation Term” should be the current semester. The Student Degree Evaluation will include courses taken in the prior semester and courses in which you are currently registered.

Q. What if I disagree with my Student Degree Evaluation Report?

A. If you disagree with any areas of the report, discuss this with your advisor. It may be a matter of substituting a course to meet a particular requirement. The Student Degree Evaluation does the best it can to fit your courses into appropriate areas. Sometimes, there are multiple areas that a course could fit into and it will choose one. Unfortunately, the Student Degree Evaluation doesn’t know where you meant the course to fit into your program. The Records Office processes approved course substitutions when you apply for graduation.

Q. What is a Rule?

A. A rule indicates that the requirement is a choice from several courses. Usually, electives must be taken for your particular major, such as: General Electives, Humanities Electives, Liberal Arts Electives, Mathematics Electives, Science Electives, Social Science Electives and Technical Electives.

Q. What is an Area?

A. An area represents a component of the Degree Evaluation Report.

There are four areas:

IDS Course Requirement - in some programs, one Interdisciplinary (IDS) course is needed to fulfill Core Curriculum requirements. This course may be selected from Humanities, Science or Social Science areas.

Program Area - students must satisfactorily complete all “Course Requirements” in their major/program to be eligible for graduation along with a minimum Grade Point Average of 2.0. Students who have previously attended another college/university and intend to transfer credits to NCC must request that their credits be evaluated early in the graduation process by the transfer counselor. Students can pick up an Evaluation Form from the Counseling Center. Students must complete at least 25% of the semester hours of credit at Norwalk Community College.

Q. What happens to courses that I have taken and passed, but do not fit into my specific program?

A. Not Applied to Degree - all passed courses that do not appear in the “Course Requirement” list for your major/program are listed in the “Not Applied to Degree” list.

Q. What happens to courses that I withdrew from or failed?

A. Insufficient Courses Area - any course from which you withdrew or received a non-passing grade will appear under this list, along with the (AU)dit code and (I)ncomplete Grade.

B. Not Counted - Any course that is below a 100-level will be in this category.

How to Read and Understand Your Degree Evaluation Report

Program Evaluation - This section lists general information for the evaluation such as Program, Campus, College, Degree, Level, Majors, Departments, Catalog Term, Evaluation Term, Expected Graduation Date, Request Number, etc.

Credits Required - indicates the overall number of credits required to graduate in the academic program.

Required Institutional - indicates the number of credits required to be taken at this college.

Program GPA - grade point average (your major GPA is the GPA at the end of your required program course list)

Credits Applied - used indicates the number of credits used for the degree evaluation this will include in-progress courses

Still Needed - indicates the course requirement has not been fulfilled

Transfer - transfer credits from another college

Term - lists the period that the course(s) were taken to fulfill the requirement

Subject - lists the code for the course that fulfilled the requirement

Course - lists the course number for the course that fulfilled the requirement

Title - lists the title of the course that fulfilled the requirement

Grade - lists the course grade

In-Progress - In-progress courses are courses in which a student is currently registered. In-progress courses will have a source code of “IP” on the evaluation. The Degree Evaluation assumes you will successfully complete the courses for which you are currently registered.

Source -

TR = transferred in credits for a course taken at another college

Degree Evaluation Instructions for Students

A student degree evaluation is NCC’s online degree audit system. Access through myCommNet will allow you to run a student degree evaluation to determine where you stand in meeting all course requirements for your degree program. Apply for graduation during your last semester. Check for graduation application deadline dates.

How to Access Your Student Degree Evaluation

Go to:

Click on: myCommNet

Click on:  Login

Enter:  your NetID and your password

Click on:  Sign in

Click on:  Banner Student & Faculty Service

Click on:  Registration/Schedule

Click on:  Student Degree Evaluations


Click on: Generate New Evaluation
Select: a Term                                      Click on: Submit                                   Click on: Program
Click on: Generate Request
Click on: Detail Requirements button
Click on: Submit

OR Click on:Click here to do an Evaluation for a Diffrent Major 
Select: Entry Term
Click on: Continue
Select a program: Choose appropriate program
Click on: Submit
Select first major: Choose appropriate major
Click on: Submit
Click on: Generate Request
Click on: Detail Requirements button
Click on: Submit